Am I done having kids?
That’s the question that many parents ask once they’ve started a family. And honestly, the answer is different for everyone. Some parents are content after just having one or two children while others have a minivan full.
But there are a few different key signs to look for you to know that you truly are done having babies.
This page may contain affiliate links, however, I will never recommend anything that I do not believe in and use myself. You can read more about my disclosure policy here.
1. You Are No Longer Envious When Others Get Pregnant
I remember being so jealous when other moms would announce their pregnancies – especially when I was trying to get pregnant myself.
Once that feeling has passed and you don’t envy other pregnant women, you may be done having babies.
- 15 Crazy Unexpected Things that Happen to New Moms After Childbirth
- 32 Fun Old Wives’ Tales for Predicting Your Baby’s Gender
- 8 Seasoned Mom Tips For Preparing Your Toddler For A New Baby
- 12 Pregnancy Essentials for Every Exhausted Expecting Mom
- 13 Essential Baby Items for Surviving the First Year
2. You’re Relieved to See Your Period Come and Not Be Pregnant
When you are trying to get pregnant, taking pregnancy tests that are negative can be devastating.
However on the other hand, if you are relieved when you find out that your not pregnant and don’t want to be pregnant again, you are probably done with being pregnant.
- Am I Pregnant? 16 Early Signs of Pregnancy Before Your Missed Period
- How to Prepare Your Body for a Healthy Pregnancy
- 21 Weird Pregnancy Symptoms That Are Actually Normal
- 16 Things To Do As Soon As You Find Out You’re Pregnant
- 34 Things To Do Before Your Baby Is Born
3. You Can Easily Give Away Baby Items
Are you still holding onto your child’s baby clothes and other items? I did this for years after my babies were born, just in case I had another baby.
If this sounds like you then you are definitely not done having kids.
But if you are ready to get rid of your baby items with ease, you are clearing out your home for the next chapter and therefore, probably done having babies.
- 15 Things I Regret Not Buying for My First Baby
- 34 Baby Essentials You Must Put On Your Baby Registry
- 19 Baby Items You Do NOT Need and Will Regret Buying
- 12 Ways to Save Money When Having a New Baby
- 11 Secrets You Need to Know About Having a C-SECTION
4. Your Family Feels Complete
Does your family feel complete?
For some people, this may be a difficult thing to figure out, but many parents know when they are done having kids by feeling that their family is complete with the children that they have.
In fact, many families are content with just having one boy and one girl and say that having a child of each gender makes their family complete. So for everyone, it’s a completely different feeling.
So tell me when is your family complete?
- 13 Decisions Parents Have to Make Before Baby Arrives
- 23 Things I Swore I’d Never Do As A Mom, But Did
- 9 Reasons Moms Should Not Pierce Their Baby’s Ears
- 10 Crucial Newborn Essentials that No One Talks About
- 7 Reasons Why I FAILED at Breastfeeding My First Baby
5. You’re Done Having Babies in Your Home
Take a moment. Could you imagine having a newborn baby in your home just the way it is now?
If the answer is “Yes!” You are definitely not finished having babies in your life and your home.
And if the answer is a big fat “NO” then you’re probably done having kids.
- 25 Self-Care Tips and Ideas for Overtired Moms
- How to Create a Baby Nursery on a Budget
- 19 Tips for Surviving The First Week Home With A Newborn Baby
- 12 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Having Another Baby
- 13 Tips for Dealing With Unwanted Parenting Advice
6. You Don’t Want to Give Birth Again
One really important thing to remember when you are not sure about whether you’re done having any babies is to listen to your body.
There are a few obvious signs your body is done having babies including:
- pregnancy complications
- labor complications
- multiple c-sections
- pregnancy or infant loss
- underlying illnesses
So if your body is telling you that it’s done with being pregnant, listen to it. It’s probably a huge sign that you are done having babies.
- How to Prepare for a Scheduled C-Section
- 13 Tips for Recovering From A C-Section With A Toddler
- 9 Things I Wish I’d Known Before Being Induced
- How to Have a Joyful Pregnancy After a Miscarriage
- 9 Postpartum Essentials for a Quick C-Section Recovery
7. You And Your Partner Have Decided You Have Enough Kids
If you are feeling like you’re not really sure about having more babies, talk with your partner before making any decisions.
Often times couples can make a decision about when they are both done making babies and want continue to focus on the ones they already have. Every family is different but most families start to plan how many children they want to have in the beginning and make adjustments to their plans as needed.
So if you and your partner are both ready to call it quits on baby-making you’re probably done having kids.
- 10 Tips for Keeping Your Marriage Alive After Baby
- 9 Important Signs Of Postpartum Depression In New Moms
- 17 Strange But Totally Normal Things That Happen With a Newborn Baby
- 9 Tips for Dealing with Visitors After Baby is Born
- What No One Tells You About Having Sex After a C-Section
Signs You’re Not Done Having Kids
So if you are still feeling like you are not sure if you are done having kids here’s a few obvious signs that you still want another baby.
- you miss being pregnant
- you have baby fever all the time
- you picture your home having a newborn in it
- your family doesn’t feel complete
- you can’t give away baby items
- Bad Breastfeeding Advice I Wish I’d Never Followed
- 12 Baby Sleep Tips for Exhausted New Parents
- 12 Tips for Surviving A Summer Pregnancy
- 17 Ways to Soothe A Crying Baby
- 10 Things Not to Say to a Pregnant Mom That is Past Her Due Date
Thanks for this post! I don’t think my body could handle another pregnancy and I’m seriously stressed out enough with just my two kids, so I know I’m done!
I thought we were done after two kids but our third came along and now our family finally feels complete!
I always knew I wanted two kids. Fortunately, I had easy pregnancies and deliveries. A third child was a sweet thought briefly but I knew I couldn’t keep up with more! Thanks for a good read.