*DISCLOSURE - This post may contain affiliate links however, I will never recommend anything that I do not believe in and/or use myself.
Have you been thinking about starting your own mommy blog, but you’re worried you aren’t “techy” enough for blogging?
That was me just before I took the plunge and started Very Anxious Mommy. The good news is that I did it, so you can too. It’s not really as difficult as you may think, even for those of us who are not very great with “technology”.
Starting a mommy blog or any type of blog really can be a bit daunting, but I want to show you how to set up an efficient and successful blog today in just a few minutes.
Why You Should Start a Mom Blog TODAY!
First of all, let’s talk about the awesome benefits of starting your own mommy blog. Ready? Here we go!
- Outlet – Blogging provides an outlet to write and talk about all of the topics you are passionate about. I have found it especially helpful to have a community that shares the same interests as me. For example, if you are passionate about meal planning and saving money, green living, or even just everyday motherhood topics, there are people out there that you can connect and build relationships with.
- Information – Before starting my blog, I was constantly trying to teach others about green living and how easy it is to cloth diaper a baby. (Well maybe not easy, but certainly not as difficult as it used to be!) And now through my blog, I am able to educate others and give helpful tips about my favorite motherhood and green living subjects.
- Income – Although blogging is in no way a get rich quick scheme, many bloggers all over the world today make a consistent income from blogging and are very successful. For example, Suzi from Start a Mom Blog went from making $0 to $9k in less than one year of blogging. She did all of this with two small children. If she can do it so can you.
Step 1: FIND YOUR NICHE
When you are ready to start your own mommy blog the absolute first thing you need to do is decide what your niche is. And a Niche is basically your category, or what you are planning to write about on your blog.
So if you are are a vegan and love to write about different recipes then that’s your niche. You will want to be as specific as possible when deciding what your niche will be. That way you will stand out in the crowd. For example, there are tons of mom bloggers out there that all write about the same topics such as breastfeeding and parenting. You NEED to stand out!!! So if you are a vegan and a mom, you could choose to write a vegan mom blog. That easy.
Unfortunately, I did not choose a niche in the beginning of my blogging journey, and it made it very difficult for me to get noticed. But always always always write about something you are passionate about. Otherwise, you will eventually get bored of you blog and your readers will notice.
Step 2: SET UP YOUR HOST
When choosing your host provider, you want to choose one that is reliable, has great customer service, and is also cheap. With keeping all of these points in mind, I highly recommend that you choose Bluehost as your host provider. In fact, Bluehost has been my host provider since I started blogging and I have had absolutely no complaints about them. Their customer service has always been super helpful and courteous.
And to save you, even more, money, if you click on my link and sign up for a 12-month plan, you will get your hosting at a discounted price and receive your domain for FREE. Which is how my blog is set up.
Other perks of signing up with BlueHost are:
- 24/7 Technical Support
- Free WordPress through Bluehost
- You will be self-hosted. Which means you own your blog and have much more freedom and monetization opportunities.
Step 3: SET UP YOUR DOMAIN
Once you have picked your niche and set up Bluehost, it’s time to choose and set up your domain name. Your domain name is going to be the name of your blog. So after you have gone through the process of setting up your Bluehost account click the button that says,”I need a domain name”. Like I said earlier, you want to stand out so be sure to pick a name that goes along with your niche but is also unique and easy for people to remember.
After you have chosen your domain name, fill out the account information page with all of your personal information. And after that, you will want to go ahead and choose which hosting package you want.
Bluehost provides packages that are 12, 24, and 36-month terms. For the lowest price, choose the “Basic Plan.” It is only $3.95 per month when you use my link. The Basic is all you will need and more.
Finally, after choosing your preferred hosting package, click “Next” to complete your purchase.
You did it! Now you own your own self-hosted domain on Bluehost. See I told you that it was easy!
Step 4: INSTALL WORDPRESS
The whole process of installing and setting up WordPress is very quick and easy through BlueHost and it’s completely FREE. You simply follow a few steps:
- Once you receive your welcome email from Bluehost click on the link inside the email to your personal Cpanel.
- Once you are on your CPanel page, select MOJO Marketplace and click One-Click installs.
- Then select the WordPress icon and click the Install button that appears.
- Now the next step is to select your domain name where you want WondPress to be installed.
- Check the boxes agreeing to the license and service agreement.
- And then select “Install Now.”
- You will then see “Advanced Options,” which is the section that will allow you to set-up your own personal username and password. (Make sure to choose something secure and that you will remember)
- And last but not least, check your email for further instructions. And now everything will be automatically emailed to you.
Congratulations! You are now the proud owner of a blog.
Step 5: DESIGN YOUR BLOG – This is the Best Part!
Bluehost has several pre-built WordPress themes that you can purchase and some free options as well. However, I highly recommend my theme by Elegant Themes.
They have both a Yearly Acess and a Lifetime Access option that allows you to use any of their awesome themes as well as their Plugins. They also have Theme Updates, Premium Support, Unlimited Website Usage, and more.
Step 6: WRITE AWAY!
Now that you have your blog all set up, it’s time for you to begin your writing journey and inspire people to come to your blog and become fans.
Blogging has become such a huge blessing in my life and I hope it does the same for you.
Are you thinking about setting up your own mommy blog? Don’t wait to start living your dream. Tell me in the comments. I always love to hear from my readers!