Last Updated on
The Healing Power of Homemade Soup
Are you in the mood to make some homemade chicken noodle soup? Or maybe you’ve suddenly come down with the sniffles and a sore throat. Everyone knows that a basic chicken noodle soup made at home is just the cure for any cold.
But wait! I can’t eat homemade chicken noodle soup. The noodles contain gluten and I’ m allergic to gluten. What will I do? I love chicken noodle soup and it is a huge favorite at our house.
So now I have two choices. I can make my chicken noodle soup without any noodles or I can use noodles that do not contain gluten.
Well, option number one is just unrealistic for me. Who wants chicken NOODLE soup without the noodles? Not me!
That means I have to look for gluten-free alternatives. Because gluten-free means no upset tummy for me.
(THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS HOWEVER, I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND ANYTHING THAT I DO NOT BELIEVE IN OR USE MYSELF. YOU CAN READ MORE ABOUT MY DISCLOSURE POLICY HERE)
Quick & Easy Chicken Noodle Soup for Cheap
Now to make this soup you can pull out all of the ingredients fresh from the store but I personally love making this meal from leftovers.
For example, I almost always cook a rotisserie chicken on Sunday’s. And since we are a family of 4 which includes two adults, a 5-year-old, and a 21-month-old we don’t usually devour the entire chicken.
Therefore, I have leftovers to use up. And to be honest, there is generally only about a cup or so of chicken left. And that is just enough to toss into my Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.
Gluten Free Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Although you can cook this recipe in a stock pot on the stove, I generally do not cook mine that way. For me, standing by the hot stove and babysitting the soup takes up so much of my precious and limited time.
So instead, I love to cook my Gluten Free Chicken Noodle Soup in a Slow Cooker so I can simply pour in all of my ingredients and then get back to doing other mommy/wifey duties.
Chicken Noodle Soup for Picky Eaters
Now you may also notice that I only have the basic ingredients in my chicken noodle soup recipe. Yep! You guessed it, my family is full of picky eaters, including myself.
And since I know that there are so many other picky eaters in the world, I have put together only the absolute basic recipe for all to enjoy.
Whether you are gluten-free, selective about your ingredients, or just have limited ingredients, you can make chicken noodle soup.
- 1-2 Cups of shredded chicken (I used leftover chicken from a rotisserie)
- 8 cups of Chicken Stock (gluten-free)
- 2-3 Carrots, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces pasta noodles (gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons of parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken in a 6qt slow cooker. Or if you have some leftover chicken that has already been cooked and seasoned, you can simply place it in the slow cooker.
- In a separate pot of water boil 1 cup of pasta noodles. (This may sound like an unnecessary step, however gluten free noodles are mainly made of rice flour which tastes better after being drained from the water it has been boiled in).
- Add and stir in chicken stock, carrots, and parsley.
- Remove and shred any large chicken pieces.
- Add shredded chicken back into crock pot. Cover and cook on low heat for an additional 30-40 minutes.
- Gently stir all of the ingredients on high for 30-40 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!!!