The Healing Power of Homemade Soup
Are you in the mood to make some homemade chicken noodle soup? Or maybe you’ve suddenly come down with the sniffles and a sore throat. Everyone knows that a basic chicken noodle soup made at home is just the cure for any cold.
But wait! I can’t eat homemade chicken noodle soup. The noodles contain gluten and I’m allergic to gluten. What will I do? I love chicken noodle soup and it is a huge favorite at our house.
So now I have two choices. I can make my chicken noodle soup without any noodles or I can use noodles that do not contain gluten.
Well, option number one is just unrealistic for me. Who wants chicken NOODLE soup without the noodles? Not me!
That means I have to look for gluten-free alternatives. Because gluten-free means no upset tummy for me.
(THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS HOWEVER, I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND ANYTHING THAT I DO NOT BELIEVE IN OR USE MYSELF. YOU CAN READ MORE ABOUT MY DISCLOSURE POLICY HERE)
Quick & Easy Chicken Noodle Soup for Cheap
Now to make this soup you can pull out all of the ingredients fresh from the store but I personally love making this meal from leftovers.
For example, I almost always cook a rotisserie chicken on Sunday’s. And since we are a family of 4 which includes two adults, a 5-year-old, and a 21-month-old we don’t usually devour the entire chicken.
Therefore, I have leftovers to use up. And to be honest, there is generally only about a cup or so of chicken left. And that is just enough to toss into my Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.
Gluten-Free Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Although you can cook this recipe in a stockpot on the stove, I generally do not cook mine that way. For me, standing by the hot stove and babysitting the soup takes up so much of my precious and limited time.
So instead, I love to cook my Gluten-Free Chicken Noodle Soup in a Slow Cooker so I can simply pour in all of my ingredients and then get back to doing other mommy/wifey duties.
Chicken Noodle Soup for Picky Eaters
Now you may also notice that I only have the basic ingredients in my chicken noodle soup recipe. Yep! You guessed it, my family is full of picky eaters, including myself.
And since I know that there are so many other picky eaters in the world, I have put together only the absolute basic recipe for all to enjoy.
Whether you are gluten-free, selective about your ingredients, or just have limited ingredients, you can make chicken noodle soup.
- 1-2 cups of shredded chicken (I used leftover chicken from a rotisserie)
- 8 cups of Chicken Stock (gluten-free)
- 2-3 Carrots, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces pasta noodles (gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons of parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken in a 6qt slow cooker. Or if you have some leftover chicken that has already been cooked and seasoned, you can simply place it in the slow cooker.
- In a separate pot of water boil 1 cup of pasta noodles. (This may sound like an unnecessary step, however, gluten-free noodles are mainly made of rice flour which tastes better after being drained from the water it has been boiled in).
- Add and stir in chicken stock, carrots, and parsley.
- Remove and shred any large chicken pieces.
- Add shredded chicken back into the crockpot. Cover and cook on low heat for an additional 30-40 minutes.
- Gently stir all of the ingredients on high for 30-40 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!!!